Sunday, January 8, 2017

Obama in Retrospect

I volunteered for Obama in '08 because I thought he was our last best hope of reeling in out of control Executive Agencies and increasing government transparency. Instead, he openly deferred to Agencies when he disagreed with them and government activity is more opaque than ever. It was naive of me to think that he would do these things just because he was a Constitutional scholar. But I'm still staggered that, in the twilight of his Presidency, he sat on CIA intel about Russian electoral interference and allowed the FBI to kneecap Hillary Clinton with bullshit mediabait a week before the election (He claims he didn't know what FBI was up to. If so that's scandalous in itself.)
My enduring impression of the BHO presidency will be his refusal to take the bait. I suppose he was determined to be The First Black President who provided an example of maturity, intelligence and a model family life. He succeeded in this respect; unless you're blinded by ideology you can acknowledge that he's a decent and thoughtful man. I don't think that's what we needed though. I can't say things would have been better if he had fought more, but I really wish he had.
Now we have the worst imaginable man with apparent obligations to the worst foreign power (all things considered), publicly pissing on the agency that has been at spy-war with that country for decades. Well, what do you know: I hope that agency acts outside of his control and puts him in his place. A metastasized executive branch full of out of control agencies sounds better than a mentally ill autocrat in hock to another one.